Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I love to mess around with sound files ...

So, since school is out for a little while, I've been converting some old cassettes I have lying around into mp3 files (320, of course). Over the past couple of days I've converted The Adventures' Trading Secrets With The Moon, Sara Hickman's Shortstop, John Stewart's The Trio Years and - in a real find - Nicolette Larson's Sleep Baby Sleep. The Larson cassette contains a Graham Nash duet, a David Crosby duet and a Neil Young song I'd never heard before. Not a world-beater of an album - it's sleeptime music for kids, but still nice to hear the CNY cuts. It's available on CD, as is the Hickman (I think), and the Stewart may also be available. But The Adventures is no longer in print; bad reviews at allmusic.com, but I like it - especially Scarlet and Washington Deceased.
The Adventures and Hickman sets I first heard while working at Focus, in Hickory. They were sent to us for review in 1990, and I did so - the actual reviews lost in the mist of years. Ah well ...