Friday, May 15, 2009

What I'm Listening To:



Aztec Two-Step • Aztec Two-Stop (1972)

Elektra EKS-75031

The First Aztec Two-Step self-titled album, released in 1972, is one of those that remains an enjoyable listening experience without sounded dated. A refreshing take on acoustic duo folk in the vein of Simon & Garfunkel, only less weighty (and yes, I love S&G's older albums). Others have seen comparisons to James Taylor - I think that's just the fact its a very guitar-based work. I think the more obvious comparison is to John Denver, but less - well, sappy. The guitar work in The Infidel has always appealed to me, and I've always been partial to Strangers and The Prisoner, too (the latter is very Fogelberg-like). There's a hippie ethic here, in Baking and So Easy, that's very refreshing (John Sebastian guests on harp on the latter). Produced by ex-Lovin' Spoonful member Jerry Yester. Check out the group's blog - http://aztectwo-step.blogspot.com/